Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 01:16:50 -0700
From:      dannyman <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS newbie question

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 02:34:04PM -0700, Fred Condo wrote:
[...]
> I specifically do not have a securenets file. Yet my client machine
> can't seem to talk to the server (symptom is infinite hang after
> entering a user name at the login prompt).

How about "ypcat passwd" and friends?  First step is to get NIS working
properly.  Second step is to tell your box to use it.  If ypcat passwd
locks on you, then you have no NIS, which tells you why you can not log
in.

I have no longer access to my NIS client boxen.  But, try:
grep nis /etc/defaults/rc.conf

Override appropriate variables in your local /etc/rc.conf, and reboot.
NIS is tricky as you have to start the right daemons on FreeBSD, and the
only way to do that is to either remember what they are, read
/etc/rc.network, or reboot. :)

> The one thing I know I am unclear on is whether client and server have
> to be on the same Ethernet segment. The existence of the concept of a
> securenets file and tcpwrappers support in NIS seems to imply that
> they do not.

I believe that NIS only works on the local subnet, but if you are
clever, you can bridge them.  IIRC, your problem is probably that ypbind
is not running.  Ypbind broadcasts to your subnet to find a server, then
it is in business.  You can give ypbind a specific server address, and
then you're good.

You might also need a securenets file to get your master from a foreign
network.  I just don't know.  RTFM.  YMMV.  Good luck!  And if you're
going to do a lot of NIS, grabbing the O'Reilley book never hurt anyone.
That I know of.

-danny

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/