Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2002 18:54:01 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Hiten Pandya <hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: In-Kernel HTTP Server (name preference)

Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Hiten Pandya wrote:
>
> > hi all,
> >
> > As to conclude this thread (for me.), I have come to the decision of
> > actually starting a project for making a BSD Licensed in-kernel HTTPd
> > server.  The project will be on SourceForge.net.
> >
> > As you all know, that when starting a project, a name is needed for
> > project; I completely out of ideas, and I have literally no creative
> > skills. :)
>
> If you want to be really useful, I have a better first step for you. :)
>
> Common wisdom seems to be that Apache is slow, other httpds are faster,
> custom ones are fastest.  However, I don't think I've actually seen any
> comparisons since this one of thttpd vs others:
>
> http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/benchmarks.html
>
> Before starting work on a kernel httpd, you might wish to run similar
> benchmarks (with perhaps only 5 different httpds) to see what the current
> performance of FreeBSD is; it may turn out that some limitation in the TCP
> stack is hit even by userland httpds, and your effort would be better
> spent on fixing that first.

The problem is that our threads implementation sucks.  The moment that
thttpd has to do an actual disk read on freebsd, the whole thing comes to a
screeching halt.

Threaded http servers do not stand up to real-world loads on freebsd, unless
there are very specially constructred scenarios in place.. ie: everything is
in ram, no FS calls ever block, etc.

Cheers,
-Peter