Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 08:07:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      steve hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What is fatal error 9 ?

On Mon, 22 Apr 1996, Doug White wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Apr 1996, Steve wrote:
>

> > My one box has been locking up periodically and today I had several
> > errors on the screen (along with a lockup) - there was fatal error 9, and
> > a general protection fault error.
> >
> > Any insight is appreciated! (mostly as to what an error 9 is)
>
> These are FreeBSD errors?  I didn't know FreeBSD would GPF.  Panic, yes;
> GPF, no.  That is a Windows thing, I thought.

So did I - but as God is my witness that is what the screen said.

> To answer the question:  I don't know what an error 9 is.  If you could
> give some of the context that would be helpful.

The machine is a pentium 133 with 96MB ram, freebsd 2.1r and its running
INN1.something - Its been fine for ages and then lately every day or two
it hangs without an error message - cept sunday in which I had these
blocks of error messages on the screen.

Im wondering if I have a bad simm.  I looked and there is no light on the
scsi card - I thought maybe it was a scsi hang, but then the GPF and the
error 9 which sounded like software errors makes me wonder if it isnt a
weak simm - or could a corrupted binary do it you think?