Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 13:50:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Noah Davidson <Noah@oopz.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAM

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Noah Davidson wrote:

> I have been reading about PAM.  I am completely confused how PAM can
> authenticate users.  We now have users in the standard Unix password
> file.  The server that I am looking into implementing this on is a
> sendmail server.  the biggest question is how can the users
> authenticate?  Does PAM authenticate the users, or does PAM use
> something else to actually authenticate like mysql.  Can someone
> please help me, also can someone point me somewhere I can get this
> kind of information?

	PAM by itself can not authenticate users.  The Application must
	make a call to PAM for authentication and look at the response to
	see if it is successfull.  It kinda works like this:

	1) Application sends authentication request to PAM (including
	   username/password/etc)

	2) A PAM module, configured in /etc/pam.conf for the app, tries to
	   authenticate them using the method specified for the module, eg
	   pam_mysql.so uses MySQL, pam_unix.so uses unix password file,
	   etc.

	3) If the PAM module (in above step) is successful, it returns
	   PAM_SUCCESS flag back to the application.  Otherwise it returns
	   a PAM error.

	4) The application must look at the returned flag to see if it is
	   PAM_SUCCESS or error and take appropriate action.

	For more information checkout:

	http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/Linux-PAM-html/

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Don't mind me...I'm just sniffing your packets