Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 2009 10:36:40 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
Cc:        mav@FreeBSD.ORG, jhb@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   improvement wishes (was: Re: Interrupt Descriptions)

Quoting Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de> (from Wed, 14 Oct 2009
10:11:57 +0200 (CEST)):

> Alexander Motin wrote:

>  > Just some 50 cents on topic: it would be nice if `vmstat -i` was able to
>  > show all (more then 2) consumers of shared interrupt instead of "cbb0
>  > wpi0+". I haven't looked who actually limit this and why, so it's just a
>  > wish.
>
> Here's a whole-hearted "me too".
> I also often have output like this from vmstat:
>
> irq18: ohci2 ohci+
>
> It doesn't even display the number of the second ohci
> device on irq18.  So I always have to grep through
> /var/run/dmegs.boot to find out the real list of
> devices, which is annoying, and this is not the way
> it should be.  "sysctl dev" doesn't provide that
> information either.
>
> In this example, there are actually four devices on
> irq18:  ohci2, ohci3, ohci4, vgapci0.

To all those people with wishes which improve parts of FreeBSD. We
have something where you can express your wishes much much better (an
on topic) than here in this thread (where jhb is talking about
something orthogonal). This other place I talk about is
http://www.FreeBSD.org/projects/ideas/ or http://wiki.FreeBSD.org/.
Both places are open for modification to everyone. Expressing your
wishes there allows a fairy or genie to have a look at them.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Old age is too high a price to pay for maturity.