Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 20:36:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      alexlh@xs4all.nl
To:        freebsd-hacker@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw patch

Hi,

I use ipfw a lot. It's really nice.

One thing bothered me though; sometimes there would be a typo in the rules
file, causing ipfw not to finish adding all the rules. This has been a
problem, as most of our servers are located behind a large, locked door
and I usually do things to them over the network.

I've patched ipfw so that it's now possible to let it process a ruleset
without actually adding the rules to the kernel. It now checks to see if
the executable is actually named 'ipfw' before the setsockopt() call.
Create a symlink named (for example) testipw pointing to the ipfw
executable, and all will be fine.

Alex Le Heux

----------------- CUT HERE -------------------
*** ipfw.c      Wed Mar  5 13:30:08 1997
--- ipfw.c.new  Tue Jan 27 20:37:36 1998
***************
*** 799,807 ****

        if (!do_quiet)
                show_ipfw(&rule);
!       i = setsockopt(s, IPPROTO_IP, IP_FW_ADD, &rule, sizeof rule);
!       if (i)
!               err(1,"setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD)");
  }

  void
--- 799,809 ----

        if (!do_quiet)
                show_ipfw(&rule);
!       if (strcmp(progname, "ipfw") == 0) {
!               i = setsockopt(s, IPPROTO_IP, IP_FW_ADD, &rule, sizeof
rule);
!               if (i)
!                err(1,"setsockopt(IP_FW_ADD)");
!       }
  }

  void