Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 1995 07:04:28 +0000 ()
From:      "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw schtuff

I have a multihomed freebsd gateway to my internet provider.  The freebsd
machine has an ethernet card which connects to other local pc's and
workstations, and a ppp link to my isp.

I compiled the kernel with options for ipfw as well as "options GATEWAY".
>From an ethernet attached workstation I can telnet to sites on the
internet.  However, if I issue "ipfw policy deny" on the freebsd machine
those same internal ethernet attached workstations can still telnet
outside. I thought a policy of deny would prevent this.  Can anyone
provide assistance? I suspect options GATEWAY overrides the ipfw stuff, but
if so how do I then allow some outside access? If static routes between
enet and ppp are the answer, what should they look like? THANKS!

Jay West