Date:      Sat, 3 Oct 1998 09:57:03 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slowly going blind ;-)

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 05:30:03PM -0400, Malartre wrote:
> I was having a really good vision has I can remember from 1 year or so.
> Now I'm a little bit paranoic and I'm always checking how I see since I
> am on a computer. I have the paranoiac not so fun feeling than my vision
> is slowly decreasing.
> Are there any study/link on how can a computer screen damage your eye?

But seriously.... recently I read about something that can happen.
People use a computer for a few hours, then get up and walk around,
and then they can't see very well. Of course they get worried.

So what's happening? While using the computer (or reading, or
doing anything close up), they eyes get used to focusing at that
distance. They sort of stick like that. Then when you start looking
into the distance it takes time for the eyes to change back to their
normal behaviour. If you are alrady a bit worried, this can be quite a
scare, and that makes you notice the problem more.

After a few minutes, the eyes readjust to normal distances and start
working fine. I don't know whether or not there is any bad effect from
this over a number of years (I'm not a doctor), but I do know that
worry makes it harder to see clearly.

Also consider that the eyes go through changes at different rates at
different times of life. For example there is a period some time during
late teens/early twenties when short-sighted people will notice much
more rapid deterioration, and another around the early 40s where most
people, particularly long sighted people, notice another wave of
deterioration. The eyesight remains relatively constant in between, so
it's easy to become more anxious than necessary if you're not aware of
these natural age-related changes.

Anyway, the easiest thing to do is go get your eyes checked out.
You'll get some proper advice, correction if necessary, and a clear
conscience.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-