Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:29:19 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?fran=E7ai?= s <romapera15@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What are the countries that have the laws that make it illegal you from writing any code that you want?

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:18:09 -0300, fran=E7ai s wrote:
> What are the countries that have the laws that make it illegal to
> write your own tools to bypass  restrictions, like the Digital
> Millennium Copyright Act and the European Union Copyright Directive?

That depends on the actual jurisdiction and laws of
the country. You should consult a lawyer who is
familiar with this very specific field of law. Of
course you'll hardly find _one_ lawyer who can
answer the question for _all_ existing countries. :-)

Laws that exist are one things. Laws that are being
enforced ("actually cause a reaction to the act of
an individual") are a different thing. It's not just
important what is being done, it also matters _who_
is doing it. For example authorities are often granted
a wider range of what's "lawful" in comparison to a
normal citizen (for example, infecting a person's PC
or phone with malware, committing crimes for the sake
of uncovering crimes, lying in court, and in the
context discussed, create software to spy on people,
to plant "evidences", to monitor computers, phones
and cameras, to program weapons that oppress and
kill people, and so on).

Laws and their interpretations differ. It depends
on who interprets them in regards of whom and what.
It's more complicated than it sounds.

Bypassing restrictions is one thing. But what about
a restriction that doesn't work for you? For example,
if you have an un-CD (music CD) that claims (!) to
have "copy protection", but can be copied without
any problem? What about mechanisms that only work
on "Windows", and you run FreeBSD? Did you bypass
something? Did the creator of the OS or the program
you use therefore write code to bypass something?

As always in matters of law, keep the following in
mind: Two lawyers, three opinions. ;-)

> What are the countries that have the laws that make it illegal you
> from writing any code that you want?

It also depends on _what_ you want. Nobody should
prosecute you for writing a calculator app, but it's
still possible that there are countries where writing
a calculator app is prohibited and will be punished.
As I said, a lawyer will be able to tell you - at least
for _your_ local jurisdiction.

> How contributing to the FreeBSD Project writing code?

You'll find that information here:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/contributing/

--=20
Polytropon