Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 23:28:27 -0500
From:      Raymond Hicks <rayhicks@rootminds.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   startx reboots my machine

I looked through the mailing list and found one thread that seems to mimic my
problem, however a solution was not posted.  I am hoping to get some answers.
Here is my situation:

  I was running FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE on a box I built.  It had the following
specs:
mobo = Asus A7V-266
proc = 1.4 athalon T-Bird
Ram  = 2 X 256 DDR
video = Voodoo 3 16m
sound = sound blaster
Hard Drive = Quantum Ultra 160 scsi (9 gig)
scsi adapter = Adaptec 2940

I moved the video card sound card hard drive and scsi adapter to the following
motherboard :

Asus A7A-266 with 1.2 Athalon T-Bird.

I used the same PCI slots on the A7A as the mobo the parts came from.
Everything was working fine on the A7V.  Now when I startx,  I get an
immediate reboot.  Can someone tell me if there is an issue with the Asus A7A
mobo and if so is there a workaround?  I would have included my XF86Config
file but I am confident as it worked in the other box that it is not the
problem.  Please respond directly as I am not on -hardware mailing list.

many thanks

Raymond hicks