Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 15:33:18 -0400
From:      "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
To:        'Todd Ross' <brainlist@brainsick.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: two quick questions (man pages and tcsh)

Todd Ross [mailto:brainlist@brainsick.com]

> 1) Why does tcsh store its config files in two places (/.cshrc and
> /etc/csh.cshrc).  From my brief testing, it looks like one is
> used for root
> and the other is used for all of the other accounts in the
> system.  I'm just
> wondering the reasoning behind it.  I'd guess it has
> something to do with
> when you boot into single user mode?

Actually, the idea is that you may have some settings which should affect
_all_ users, and some settings which are on a user by user basis.  You
could,
for example, have a base path and prompt, which can be overridden on a user
by user basis.

> 2) Why do some man pages have (4) or (2) after them?  For
> example ... usb(4).

The man pages are split into many separate sections.  Thus, you can have
the same item in several sections -- crontab comes to mind.  Try doing
	man 1 crontab
and
	man 5 crontab
to see what I mean...