Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 18:59:42 -0700
From:      "Mike" <massey@rmci.net>
To:        "'FreeBSD Questions'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: DOS ATTACK. Any Suggestions?

Since the IP range seems to belong to shawcable.net (24.67.253.203)I
would send an E-mail to them. The scanning back has worked for me as
well BUT be carefull or you might be labled the bad one. Normaly I
always poke back just to see who they are and e-mail the host if it
becomes a problem. Also if you are using DSL with a CISCO 675 / 678
there are tools and patchs that can filter out most DDOS attacks.

Here's some reading. You'll notice he's running some interesting
Services and will find the http site is blocked. If you dig some more
you'll find other interesting things as well. And no I am not and do not
condone hacking just investigating<g>

Starting nmap V. 3.00 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
No tcp,udp, or ICMP scantype specified, assuming SYN Stealth scan. Use
-sP if you really don't want to portscan (and just want to see what
hosts are up).
Host px1ht.ok.shawcable.net (24.67.253.203) appears to be up ... good.
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan against px1ht.ok.shawcable.net
(24.67.253.203)
Adding open port 80/tcp
Adding open port 514/tcp
Adding open port 554/tcp
Adding open port 23/tcp
Adding open port 8080/tcp
Adding open port 3128/tcp
Adding open port 53/tcp
Bumping up senddelay by 10000 (to 10000), due to excessive drops
Bumping up senddelay by 20000 (to 30000), due to excessive drops
Bumping up senddelay by 30000 (to 60000), due to excessive drops
The SYN Stealth Scan took 225 seconds to scan 1601 ports.
Interesting ports on px1ht.ok.shawcable.net (24.67.253.203):
(The 1577 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
23/tcp     open        telnet
53/tcp     open        domain
71/tcp     filtered    netrjs-1