Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 01:11:41 -0700
From:      "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Matt tv channel??

I forgot omnimedia video

OmniMedia Sequence-P1S (meteor like card) sells for $299. http://www.omt.com

You may try to consider getting a P5 P166 to transmit high frame rates
and of course this depends on the content . At work , I had the
opportunity to install FreeBSD on a P166 and vic was just simply nice
sometimes cranking out 30 frames / sec for instance while drinking
a can of coke in front of the camera. A P6 166 would probably take
care of you however the motherboard alone costs > $2000 :(
For memory , I would get 32mb. 16MB is okay however 32MB of main memory
is nice to have specially if you are doing true color stuff.

HINT:
Don't skimp out on the memory cause I think that later on  you may need it 8)
END OF HINT

I wouldn't get the Xinside server for video stuff because then you may
loose a TV 8) Jim modified the meteor driver so it can dump raw video
to the frame buffer . Xinside does not make the frame buffer
available at the application level however they have other stuff
which you may be interested. Hint: I have an S3 968 which works really
good in true color the Matrox stuff drops drastically in performance
in true color;however, if you don't mind running in 256 colors then
the Matrox Millinium is one of the fastest cards in the market.

I think that Thomas Roell clocked the Matrox Millenium to 1,000,000 xstones
on a P5 166.

For sure you want a GUS PnP Pro the standard model comes with 512k and
thats more than adequate for mbone stuff.

NEC has a new line of monitors which are okay to watch tv so you may
want to look around ...