Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 2003 17:05:52 -0400
From:      Dan Pelleg <daniel+bsd@pelleg.org>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net>
Subject:   RE: multiple DHCP interfaces

Jesse Guardiani <jesse@wingnet.net> wrote:
> Also, is there a way to configure freebsd to
> do DHCP negotiations in the background on system
> boot?
>
> If my wired 10/100 isn't plugged in, I really
> don't want to wait while the DHCP requests time
> out. Sure, I can just press CTRL+c and have done
> with it, but that requires me to actually do some
> manual labor. I'd rather automate the process. :)
>
> Same goes for the wireless link when there isn't
> an AP around...

Have a look at the "Wireless" section of this page:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dpelleg/X23_freebsd.html

It discusses two alternative approaches. I stopped using the rc.network
patch a while ago, since I am happy with nicmond. Also, the nicmond port
was committed very recently (though with nothing but my poor
Babelfish-aided translation of the japanese manpages). It should work
fairly easily though. Note I never used it on wireless interfaces.

--
  Dan Pelleg