Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:37:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Johnson <freebsd@spatula.net>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.5.0 patchset 7 "South China"

Good news!  I did an rm -rf work on the port, edited the makefile just to
be absolutely certain it would bootstrap off Diablo, recompiled
everything, and now the 1.5 JDK from ports does indeed read java.security.
It also reports the correct debugging information with
-Djava.security.debug=properties like it should.

No clue whatsoever why it wasn't reading it before or why it made a
difference to bootstrap it with Diablo.  I'm pretty sure I'd always done a
make clean on the port before building it in the past (because otherwise
it doesn't do anything anyway), so I wouldn't think that removing the work
directory entirely would make a difference (unless make clean leaves
things behind).

I guess the moral of the story is that if you're getting bizarre behaviour
out of the JVM, try removing the port's work directory, download Diablo
for use with bootstrapping, and build it again using Diablo as the
bootstrap.

[Incidentally, truss still fails to show that one particular open call,
but ktrace -t n does show it.  (Previously even ktrace -t n was not
showing it.)]

Hope this thread helps if others find themselves in a similar situation.

It remains to be seen whether this will resolve the problems I've been
having with InetAddress caching, but I am hopeful that it will.

   Nick

--
"Courage isn't just a matter of not being frightened, you know. It's being
 afraid and doing what you have to do anyway."