Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 08:43:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Geoffrey Deasey <deasey@server1.netpath.net>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot -c for non standard kernel drivers

On Tue, 2 Jan 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >ok, I booted it with the -c so I could change the irq and iomem settings
> >for my smc network card which the kernel put at irq5 (my soundblaster is
> >their) and iomem 0xe0000 the kernel put it at 0xd8000.  I changed the
> >settings and exited the menu and got a message about the wrong bucket and
> >a kernel panic.
>
>    Ugh. Obviously it should do that. I think the wrong bucket panic only
> happens when an internal inconsistency is detected. Are you running with a
> customized kernel (one you built yourself)?

boot.flp off of ftp.freebsd.org

> Did you specify the address
> properly in hex (0xe0000), or could it be that you just typed "e0000"?

no, I typed 0xe000

> You
> might also look at the result after you changed it (using the ls command) and
> make sure that it properly set.

Yes I did check
I also did this 3 times in a row with the same result

Hardware is as follows
486dx2 80 (amd) green motherbd
soudblaster 16 with panasonic cr-563 cdrom connected
smc elite ultra 16 (combo)
vlb ide 2 port controller with 2s1p and floppy
ati mach32 vlb video card.

> -DG
>
> David Greenman
> Core Team/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project

FreeBSD / Linux   |  Netpath, Inc & Stratonet, Inc.              |
------------------+  2466 Corporation Parkway                    |
Opinions are mine |  Burlington, NC 27215     910-226-0425       |