Date:      14 Feb 2004 20:52:42 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net>
Cc:        'FreeBSD-Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Branch Tags vs Release Tags

Bob Perry <rperry4@earthlink.net> writes:

> Edmund Craske wrote:

> >No problem, in fact it would make little sense not to use this branch.
> >
> I guess that 's what so confusing.  Who would benefit using
>
> RELENG_4_9_0_RELEASE?

Look at it this way.

If someone installed the 4.9 release, from a set of disks they bought
in a store, and then they had a question about it, I might want to
help them figure out their problem.  Because there is a
RELENG_4_9_0_RELEASE tag, I can look at the files that produced their
release.  It makes no sense that anyone would download those files to
install from, but some people can actually read the source files.