Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:58:00 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG, kumabu@t3.rim.or.jp
Subject:   Re: CFR: Timing to enable CR4.PGE bit

Peter Wemm wrote:
> Page Global Enable (bit 7 of CR4). (Introduced in the P6 family
> processors.) Enables the global page feature when set; disables the
> global page feature when clear. [snip] In addition, the bit must not
>                                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> be enabled before paging is enabled via CR0.PG. Program correctness
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> may be affected by reversing this sequence, and processor performance
> will be impacted.
> ----
>
> Currently, we enable CR4.PGE bit in create_pagetables, then enable
> CR0.PG in locore.s.  This seems to violate Intel's note.

Ah.  It looked like an inverted patch to me... it moved the
code from line 725 or so in locore.s to line 375.

I think moving this to _much_ later would not be a bad idea,
since the only effect will be that the PG_G bit is ignored
until it's actually enabled, right?

FWIW: The message you quoted was from a cross-post from -audit
to -arch, which I guess originally came from -audit?  So the
answer is "no, I didn't see the whole thread", and I only
became interested enough to read it when I saw the assemply
patch fly by on -arch.

So since it's moving the enable to much later in the process
(but earlier in the file -- in the old days, we used to program
in order 8-)), I definitely don't object, unless I can talk you
guys into delaying it until the 4M page for the kernel is being
enabled...

> .. which is why I asked if you read the entire thread.  I thought that
> quote was quite clear that we were in violation.

I don't subscribe to audit, and the quoted stuff didn't
look that important, so I didn't see it until now... sorry.

-- Terry