Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:32:11 -0500
From:      George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: diskless workstation - minimum requirements?

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 02:57:58AM +1000, Ian Pulsford wrote:

>Dan Langille wrote:
>>
>> As part of an upcoming Open Source Weekend (http://www.osw.ca/) I'm
>> putting together a small demonstration network
>> (http://www.langille.org/osw-demo.php).  It was suggested that a diskless
>> workstation would be a nice addition to the suite.
>>
>> How practical is this from both a FreeBSD-demo perspective and from a open
>> source perspective?  What does it demonstrate? ow useful is it given that
>> we are catering in large to the business community?
>
>It would be good if you could do it with one of those tiny mini-itx
>machines.  A tiny computer always has some wow factor.
>
>What does it demonstrate to a business community audience?  Nothing much
>unless you can mock up some kiosk type POS thing on it perhaps, or at
>least have a web-browser running on it.
>
>Some people will love the quietness of it (and lack of heat
>generation).  A lot of people will not give a hoot if it's a full blown
>PC or a terminal in front of them.  Cost is probably the best sales
>point.

There is more to cost than hardware too...

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/12/04/2346215.shtml?tid=19

  - By Robin 'Roblimo' Miller -

  We're back in Largo, Florida, checking on advances in the Linux-based
  network they use to run the city's computers that we wrote about last
  year. True to Largo's "City of Progress" motto, these guys have not
  been standing still. Now they're talking about Linux-based terminals
  in all the city's police cars. Microsoft has tried -- and failed -- to
  bring them into the proprietary fold. And, possibly most important,
  we have an amazing cost figure that ought to make you ask your local
  politicians why their IT operations aren't as efficient as Largo's.

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org