Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 20:58:20 -0700
From:      Duane Eddingfield <deddingf@home.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Alpha version and Xwindows...

Hi:

    I have an AlphaStation 255 with a 'Number Nine' video card (S3 Trio
64 - 2 MB). I am running
Tru64 UNIX which is quite fine except that I work in a place that uses
Solaris and Linux. I am
thinking that this would be a killer FreeBSD box for 4.0.

    I have grep'ed the mailing lists for information on running Xwindows
but have not found much
discussion other than it seems to work but I see people having problems
with S3 video.

    What I am wondering is basically does XFree86 run on the Alphstation
and can I have all
the glitzy stuff like on the Intel versions. XFree86 3.3.6 would do just
fine but can I have KDE
or FVWM and stuff like that.

    Also my Alphastation does not have a floppy drive so I either spend
a few dollars on one or
I netboot the install, which I have done with NetBSD. NetBSD installed
fine but when I ran
adduser, it gave me a readme about creating accounts with vipw etc. I
thought that was a bit
to primitive so I didn't go any further with it, I really wanted FreeBSD
anyway :)

Thanks for the suggestions or pointers to where to RTFM,

</Duane>