Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 19:01:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/wicontrol wicontrol.8

<<On Thu, 9 Aug 2001 15:51:23 -0700, Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> said:

> WEP IS INSECURE.  DO NOT TRUST IT TO PROVIDE SIGNIFICANT SECURITY.

Let's keep in mind what WEP claims to be: Wired Equivalent Privacy.
That is to say, the effort required to break WEP is comparable to the
effort of plugging a wire into an outlet.  It is not a security
service.  The mere existence of an (automatable) attack does not mean
that WEP is irredeemably broken; for many applications, it is
sufficient to protect against unintentional access.

(We don't use WEP in our wireless network here, because to do so would
defeat the purpose of the network.  If I had a wireless network in my
condo, on the other hand, you can be certain that I would be using
it.)

-GAWollman