Date:      Fri, 26 Feb 2016 08:30:01 +0100
From:      Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
To:        Robert Ayrapetyan <robert.ayrapetyan@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: verify FreeBSD installation

> On 26 Feb 2016, at 06:50, Robert Ayrapetyan <robert.ayrapetyan@gmail.com> w=
rote:
>=20
> Yeah, finally I've decided to re-install from an official iso.
> I've found some services in crontab I didn't liked at all - they were subm=
itting a lot of info to a third-party servers (officially for monitoring pur=
poses).
> p.s. Under "instance" I mean a dedicated unmanaged server.

With a dedicated unmanaged, a reinstall would be my preference as well. Ther=
e's an interesting option for this, called mfsBSD. It can be a bit of hassle=
 to set it up the first time (just a bit), but once it's up, it'll give you a=
n image that you can simply dd onto the harddrive(s), and boot from. It then=
 runs only in memory, no longer dependent on the drives, and allows you to s=
sh in, and do an install just like you would from a dvd.=20

The reason that it can be a slight hassle, is that unless your provider has D=
HCP, you'd have to configure IP etc in the image, so it'd be able to bring u=
p networking correctly.=20

Other options that can be interesting for setups like this, is using geli fo=
r disk-encryption.=20

Terje