Date:      Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:42:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= <ache@astral.msk.su>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: libncurses 1.9.9e ready to commit

On Tue, 9 Apr 1996, [KOI8-R] =E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA =FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7 wrote:

> > =09I have not removed any of the terminfo functionality, so that
> > anyone that *wants* to use terminfo can just install the terminfo
> > database and it will work.  Without the terminfo database installed, it
> > will revert to using termcap instead.
>
> I remember some time ago Jordan somehow left /usr/lib/terminfo/*
> and it was too long time to understand why his stuff not works,
> so we have one precendent at least that having >1 terminal database
> leads to big troubles.

=09Unless there is something I've missed in the distributions, Jordan
would have had to manually install terminfo himself.  On a *standard*
distribution, terminfo is *not* installed, so libncurses on that system
would *not* use anything but the termcap file.

=09What about me, who has terminfo installed, and has no problems
using it, since *I* have no intentions of ever extending my definitions...
now, because a few ppl don't want to risk accidentally(?) installing
the terminfo database on their system, I'm going back to the drawing board
and have to install libncurses from scratch to add that functionality back
in?

> Please, put needed #ifdefs to NOT look to /usr/lib/terminfo,
> as I say only one terminal database must exists in the system, not TWO!
> If you want something from terminal database - better way is
> termcap file fixing than adding /usr/lib/terminfo stuff.

=09I'm not arguing that TWO should exist, I'm arguing that it shouldn't
be up to us that the ONE database is termcap.  You prefer termcap, I'm
indifferent to either, and have installed terminfo on my system.  The
reason that I'm trying to get 1.9.9e commited is so that each time I do
a make world, I don't have to remember not to overwrite my 1.9.9e with
1.8.6.  How many others out there are going through the same thing?  How
many others have 1.9.9e installed and *are* using terminfo?

> Please do not commit without terminfo taking out.

=09So far, I have one person that is dead set against having terminfo
capabilities enabled in libncurses, and about a dozen that are arguing the
merits of termcap over terminfo (but seem indifferent on the subject of
enabling/disabling the terminfo capabilities), and two ppl that wish to hav=
terminfo capabilities enabled.

=09What I'm trying to ensure is that each person installing FreeBSD
in general, and libncurses in specific, HAS that choice...has the choice to
use terminfo vs termcap without having to reinstall a library to do so.

=09If we are going to use a standard library like libncurses, leave
it as standard...don't disable functionality in it because YOU don't happen
to want to use that functionality.

> Don't forget to turn BSD-tputs on to have compatibility on libtermcap lev=
el.

=09got it

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
System           |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
  Administrator  |                                    | Information and
 scrappy@ki.net  |      WWW: http://www.ki.net        | Communications, Inc