Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 1995 18:44:27 -0600 (CST)
From:      Frederick Earl Gray <fgray@owlnet.rice.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATAPI CD-ROM setup

I have repeatedly tried to get my CD-ROM drive set up under FreeBSD without
sucess.

I have a Dell Dimension P90 with 16MB of RAM, a 1GB Western Digital IDE disk,
and a Mitsumi IDE CD-ROM drive.

I am running FreeBSD-2.2-CURRENT from Friday, December 1, but the same problem
occurs with -STABLE and 2.1.0-RELEASE.  My kernel configuration file contains
the lines

options         ATAPI   #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
device          wcd0    #IDE CD-ROM

The drive works fine under Windows 95.  The driver gives the following message:

ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver Version V L30 (02/28/1995)
Copyright (C) MITSUMI ELECTRIC CO.,LTD. 1994,1995
1 drives detected
unit 0, MASTER, IRQ 15, I/O address 0x0170

However, the drive is not recognized at all under FreeBSD

Can anyone suggest something?

-- Fred Gray
-- fgray@owlnet.rice.edu