Date:      Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:56:53 +0200
From:      Denis Zaika <zaika@stels.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Missed numbers between <Link#>

Good day!

Does anybody know how do the created interface get the <Link#> index
which is visible by netstat -i. Because deletion of some interfaces
causes some misses between the link numbers, after creation
on new interfaces, for example:
fxp0 1500  <Link#1>
fxp1 1500  <Link#2>
.
.
.
vlan61 1500  <Link#45>
vlan62 1500  <Link#49>
vlan63 1500  <Link#50>
and so on.
After that I have problems with snmpd from net-snmp, because it gives
wrong output in interface statistics, total number of interfaces stays
right, but it stops to give any statistics on that misses. I can get
the statistics by snmpget with indexes after the spaces, but I cannot
get the statistics from last created interfaces because they numbers
bigger then total. Can I affect to the process of giving the link
number to the new intarfaces or can I read something about it?
FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE.

--
Truly yours, Denis Zaika,               [ZDS-RIPE]
ISP "Stels" system administartor.       [ZDS-UANIC]