Date:      01 Nov 2000 16:43:30 -0500
From:      Nat Lanza <magus@cs.cmu.edu>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux emulation

Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com> writes:

> Linux has the distinction between block and character devices. I don't
> see any evidence that block devices can be accessed as character devices
> as well (ie: there's /dev/fd0, but no /dev/rfd0).

You can do this in Linux, but the way it works is pretty psychotic.
They have a special driver that provides a raw character device
interface for block devices, and you have to run a userland utility
to bind a block device to one of their /dev/raw<N> devices.

This is new as of 2.3/2.4, but there are patches to 2.2 to allow
it. Actually, it might have been backported and included with later
2.2 kernels, but I haven't been paying a lot of attention.

--nat

--
nat lanza --------------------- research programmer, parallel data lab, cmu scs
magus@cs.cmu.edu -------------------------------- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~magus/