Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:47:53 -0700
From:      Robert Butzke <rbutzke@msdignition.com>
To:        "'Mike Smith'" <mike@smith.net.au>, David Webster <dwebster@bhmi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Promise Ultra DMA PCI IDE Controller

	> Have recently downloaded the installation binaries needed for
FreeBSD
	> 3.0 RELEASE and have attempted to begin an installation.
	>
	> I am using a Gateway P6-266 (Pentium II - 266Mhz) with 64MB Ram
and a
	> Nitro 3D GX video card, Mitsumi 24X ATAPI CD-ROM, and Quantum
Fireball
	> 6.4GB Hardrive.
	>
	> The problem I am having is that the primary on-board ISA disk
controller
	> is disabled in the BIOS and Gateway has replaced this with a PCI
based
	> primary disk controller.  The systems only hardrive uses this
controller
	> in order to enable the Ultra-DMA performance features (not
available via
	> the on-board controller).  The CD-ROM uses the onboard secondary
	> controller.  I have removed all the conflicting devices in the
Kernel
	> via the UserConfig utility, including the ISA base primary
controller.

> Un-remove the primary controller, since the Promise controller will
> come up in its place.

I also have the computer listed above, and am trying to install FreeBSD 3.0
RELEASE.  I have tried your suggestion, but my hard drive is still not
detected during the boot up from the floppy.  Do you have any other
suggestions on how to do a fresh install on a computer with this Promise
controller?

Regards,

Rob