Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:53:51 -0700
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@me.com>
To:        Chris Inacio <nacho319@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with IPv6 router gateway config, Comcast, DHCP, dnsmasq

On Oct 31, 2014, at 20:23, Chris Inacio <nacho319@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Hello all,
>=20
> I've tried to find this information in so many ways, but I just can't =
piece
> it together, maybe my Google fu is failing me.
>=20
> I have my router/gateway device running FreeBSD 10p11 - so its up to =
date.
> On my internal network interface, re1, I'm using dnsmasq to serve both =
IPv4
> DHCP and current private network IPv6 (fc00::).

This prefix has been depreciated.  Why aren't you giving global IPv6 =
addresses internally anyway?

> I can successfully configure my public interface (re0) to get IPv6
> information from Comcast.  I'm getting both a /128 NA for the =
interface as
> well as a prefix /64 to allocate IPv6 addresses.
>=20
> The problem is that I get the /64 via dhcp6c operating on my re0 =
interface,
> and then I can't figure out how to pass that information to dnsmasq to =
use
> it for my internal network.  I could only see the /64 by running =
dhcp6c in
> foreground+debug mode.

The way this works is by prefix delegation.  dhcp6c gets a delegated =
prefix from the DHCPv6 server and then it's supposed to configure it on =
your internal network (re1).

You could theoretically write a script that runs when you get a prefix =
which configures dnsmasq, but to be honest letting dhcp6c configure the =
prefix on your internal network and then running rtadvd is much easier.  =
Not to mention that not every system out there supports DHCPv6 by =
default.

> Is there a simple solution to this?  I'm okay with variations such as =
"stop
> using dhcp6c to get the /64 prefix and add `XXXXX` to dnsmasq to do =
it"  or
> "use dhcp6s to serve the /64 prefix".
>=20
> I am currently having a few issues with dnsmasq, but generally, I =
still
> like it.  (It keeps crashing with signal 11, but I'm using the version =
from
> pkg which doesn't call out to an init script.)  But the way dnsmasq =
handles
> DHCP, local DNS, and support DNSSEC I like a lot.
>=20
> I find the man pages for dhcp6 pretty awful.  The man pages describe =
the
> options - but not being able to find what /64 is assigned to dhcp6c =
other
> than running in debug mode seems crazy.

There's an alternative: dhclient from ports which includes DHCPv6 =
support with prefix delegation.