Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 1997 00:06:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@keystone.westminster.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP

OK, I'm sure this has been answered several times, but I'm not sure what
to do.
I have my computer setup with a 1.1 gig Win95 partition on EIDE drive 0,
and FreeBSD with 100 MB on 0 and the full 2.1 gig on unit 1.
I'm trying to setup a PPP connection with our ISP, Erols.  Here's what
happens:
1) run ppp
2) go into term mode
3) dial the number and login
4) go into packet mode
5) shell out of PPP (or use another window)
6) it gives me the (dynamic) IP assigned to me (207.blahblah) and sets up
a route from that to (presumably) a gateway (205.blahblah)
7) OK, I put that 207. into /etc/hosts as me, route add me localhost,
route add default 205....
8) I can ping the 207..., but I can't ping the 205... or anywhere beyond
there.
Am I just being stupid, is there something simple I'm missing, or what?
If necessary, I can go script a session, and attach a script, but that's
about it in a nutshell.  I would really like to do this because I'm tired
of having to boot into 95 just to telnet out and check my mail, and I'd
like to pull down the new version of FreeBSD (prob. 2.2-STABLE), etc, but
there's no reasonable way to do that without getting PPP working.  Any
suggestions would be VERY greatly appreciated.
Please make sure to CC me; I'm not on the list anymore.

Thanks for your help,

:-}  MAtt