Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 10:37:22 -0500
From:      "Clarence Brown" <clabrown@granitepost.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   What's "Best" upgrade path?

I have a FreeBSD v4.1 machine that was installed
from the August 2000 CD's. It's not currently
connected to the network. I'd like to upgrade it
to the latest version with the various security
fixes, get the sound working, and the latest
version of KDE.

I'd like to do this while minimizing bandwidth.
I have the v4.3 April 2000 CD's. There's nothing
significant on the machine that I want to save
(except the high scores from KDE's Shisen-Sho
game).

I'm thinking I should completely reinstall the
machine with 4.3, then upgrade from there.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I'm getting a
"d:\floppies\kern.flp - File is too big" error
when trying to make the boot floppies from the
4.3 CD's. The floppy is freshly formatted
without system files and shows 1,457,664 bytes
available on disk. Is this a known bug, or am
I missing something. Creating the boot floppies
is NOT working as documented. Maybe I've got
a bad CD? Something else? I'm kind of leery of
installing from those CD's until I figure out
what's wrong with the simple procedure of
creating boot floppies.

Thanks, Cla.