Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 09:40:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hcs.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable List <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: "Hanging" TCP connections over ISDN

On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, Hellmuth Michaelis wrote:

> since upgrading two ISDN-connected systems from 4.5 RC1 to 4.6 TCP
> connections between this two systems "hang" from time to time.
>
> [...]
>
> I'm a bit stuck here. It still might be a bug in the ISDN subsystem,
> but nothing important has changed between 4.5 and 4.6.

Unfortunately, I don't have much of an idea where the problem might
be, but I can say "Me Too."

The two machines connected over the internet are 4.6-STABLE and
4.5-RELEASE with a 56k link and 1.5 Mbit cable modem respectively.
I've got newreno off on both, turning off delayed ACKs doesn't seem
to help either.  Also, the 56k modem is attached to a G4 iMac
running Darwin 5.4 doing ipfw/natd which itself doesn't seem to
stall nearly as much, so the link itself is probably OK.

I guess I'll start looking at tcpdumps.

-Paul.