Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 17:59:57 +0800
From:      Breaker <breaker@nw.com.au>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with installing FreeBSD via DOS Partition.

Hello, :)

This email is regarding the problem(s) I've been having trying to
install FreeBSD-2.2.5 Release from a DOS partition.
I have the following computer:
[Irrelevent items such as Video cards skipped]
Intel Pentium-II 233 Overclocked (83Mhz Bus speed) to 291Mhz.
64MB Gold Plated SDRAM.
Abit LX 6 Motherboard.
Quantum Seagate 3.2Gig HDD.
24x TEAC CD-ROM.

About a month ago, I formatted my hard drive, and took into
consideration the fact I was planning to install a *nix OS in the near
future. My main drive, assigned the letter C, was formatted to take up
90% of my 3.2Gigs, which rounded out to be about ~3080MB. The remaining
270MB or however much was there, I set aside as an unformatted partition
for my installation of the *nix OS when I came around to it.

I have downloaded the neccessary directories (including /bin) from the
FreeBSD FTP site. In the current setup, what I have done is formatted
via FDISK a ~23MB DOS Partition out of the 270MB I had set aside and
made this an extended DOS Drive. I have also set 100% of this as a
logical DOS Drive. I have copied the /bin directory onto the newly
created D: drive, so the drive contains the structure D:\FreeBSD\bin -
where the /bin files are located. I have made a boot disk that works
properly and I have no problems getting into the setup.

Now here's where I get onto my problem. Everything sets up fine through
the 'Novice' installation procedure untill I get to the point where I am
asked "Are you sure you want to install ? Yes/No". After selecting yes,
a number of boxes come up with installation procedures (only briefly
though, I'm just telling you this to give an idea how far it gets). It
gets to the "something something Holographic Shell VT4" or something
like that, and after that screen goes away, the big error message I get
is:

Error mounting DOS Partition /dev/wd0s2 : Invalid argument (22)
							(100%)

I keep getting this error message, and I was wondering if you could give
me any hints on how to set up my partitions so that it installs
properly. Just as a side note, C: drive is a FAT 32 drive, and if
anything, I'm *pretty* sure D: is a FAT 16 Drive. I run Win95 on C: and
I'm not real keen on having to eat into its partition for anything. I've
tried a few different ways of putting the partitions and I think this is
an internal FreeBSD conflict because I usually like to figure things out
myself and don't give up until I usually do figure it out, or determine
it too hard to figure out :) I'm not a newbie, so if you need any more
feedback about info on my system or anything else that works/doesn't
work during the installation process I'd be happy to tell you. I've just
about given up and I'm sending my problem here as a last resort.

Hope you can find a solution :)

Regards,

Trent

--