Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 10:19:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven P. Donegan" <donegan@quick.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alright, who's the smart alleck that fixed NFS this last week? :) , WAS: Re: solid NFS patch #6 avail for -current - need tester

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Kevin Day wrote:
>

> > Try mounting with -d... Can I make a guess that the NFS mount is going over
> > 100MB ethernet? I have a strong theory that the dynamic retransmit timer
> > needs rework for low latency connections, with high variability in their
> > performance during high traffic. (lots of collisions)
>
> Hmmm, well the client/server are both on 100mbit
> full duplex switched ethernet, fxp0<->fxp0 with no load
> other than the build going on.

With a full duplex setup collisions don't exist. In a switched setup the
latency should be very consistent and extremely low. Something else must
be wrong here.

I'm very glad NFS is getting fixed - I'd really like to use FreeBSD in a
frontend/backend setup with multiple round-robin DNS setup web servers
with the web content on a backend NFS/RAID server. (poor man's Network
Appliance equivalent :-)