Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 08:50:30 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rstartd on freefall

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > So rstart is broken by design.  Let me guess.  This has been argued
> > before, and the xfree86 guys won't allow an absolute path to rstartd
> > (via say a flag to rstart).... :|
>
> I don't recall that it was ever discussed.  I've certainly never heard
> of anyone actually using it, at least not until just now. :-)

It has recently been discussed on the XFree86 list.

Btw., Brian, you should actually complain at the inventor of your
shell. :-)  If he had made a provision for a .xxxrc file as all nice
shells do (csh, tcsh, bash, zsh -- no, no discussions, please :), it
would be simple for you to extend your $PATH on startup.

Mr. Korn decided to invent this crappy idea of $ENV, which has now
even benn half-withdrawn (no $ENV sourcing for non-interactive
shells).  It's IMHO a dead-born child, and i regret we gotta support
this braindeadness at all, since Posix blindly blessed so many of the
misfeatures of the Korn shell.

I wonder whether we should allow for a .shrc file, at least as a
compile-time option.

Of course, nothing to be added to Jordan's comment regarding ssh vs.
rsh.

--
cheers, J"org