Date:      Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:07:14 -0400
From:      Steve Polyack <korvus@comcast.net>
To:        Jeff Blank <jb000003@mr-happy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>, "Brian A. Seklecki" <bseklecki@collaborativefusion.com>
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge Virtual Media

On 12/08/09 12:41, Jeff Blank wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having a little trouble using the "virtual media" function of
> Dell's PowerEdge R-series (R710 in this case) iDRAC6 under FreeBSD
> (7.1, 8.0).  This is presented as /dev/cd0, a USB/"SCSI" device, I
> guess.  This is in the dmesg buffer when I boot up the existing 7.1
> installation with the virtual optical drive mapped to the 8.0-RELEASE
> amd64 DVD image:

We're having some similar issues with our older PowerEdge 1850s
(DRAC4).  Things were alright on 6.3-RELEASE, but now there is a large
hangup when trying to install 8.0-RELEASE:

We see ~ 30x of these in dmesg:
   acd1: WARNING - READ_TOC read data overrun 20>12

Followed by this in sysinstall:
   "The disc in your drive looks more like an audio disc than a
   FreeBSD Release" (1).

The DRAC Virtual Media and physical CDROM drives are probed like this in
dmesg:
acd1: DVR <VIRTUALCDROM DRIVE/> at ata2-slave PIO3
acd0: CDROM <TEAC CD-ROM CD-224E/K.9A>

This is with the latest DRAC firmware available from Dell.