Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 03:21:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      juksi@iname.com
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pcm0 interrupt timeout, channel dead

hello,
I asked about this 2 days ago (Gus MAX, 4.0 -> 4.2
upgrade and sound stopped working) and i didn't want to
wait for an answer anymore, so I "solved" the problem.
(I'm not specially a kernel/any driver hacker, so this
was the best I could do.. :)
Hope this helps, José, this is what I did:
(If you have ftp access or sources extracted somewhere,
it is a lot easier, just replace /usr/src/sys/dev/sound
with 4.0 version)

#cd /usr/src
#tar czf sys42.tar.gz sys
#rm -r sys
#cd /cdrom/src                 (4.0-RELEASE cdrom)
#sh install.sh sys
#cd /usr/src/sys/dev/
#tar czf sys.dev.sound40.tar.gz sound
#mv sys.dev.sound40.tar.gz /usr/src
#cd /usr/src
#rm -r sys
#tar xzf sys42.tar.gz
#cd /usr/src/sys/dev
#rm -r sound
#mv /usr/src/sys.dev.sound40.tar.gz .
#tar xzf sys.dev.sound40.tar.gz

and then I went to make the kernel 'the old way',
config MYKERNEL and cd to ../../compile/MYKERNEL

When 'make depend' complained about missing files in
/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/???/

I did 'echo "" /usr/src/sys/dev/sound/???/the_filename'

Until all the files needed existed.

Not a pretty solution :) but it works just fine,
sound is working. I just hope I don't have to use 4.0
pcm sources for every FBSD release from now on. I
definitely saved the 4.0 sound tarball for future use.

By the way, I don't know if it makes a difference,
I have "NO_MODULES=yes" in /etc/make.conf

 Jukkis             : www.jukkis.net
 FreeBSD Quickstart : www.jukkis.net/bsd