Date:      Fri, 25 Mar 2016 17:20:17 +0100
From:      Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: devel/arduino - bad advice given in pkg-message

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 4:34 PM, Janky Jay, III <jankyj@unfs.us> wrote:

>         While your solution is not incorrect, your assumption on the
> proposed/given solution from the port is. The '-G' switch appends the
> given group to your users already given groups. So, if a user belongs
> to groups admin,wheel,test and you run the suggested "pw" command from
> the port, your user will now be in groups admin,wheel,test,dialer.
> It's the '-g' (lower-case) switch you want to avoid...

If you read the man page, I think you will find that it is your
assumption about what the '-G' switch does which is incorrect.
Quote:
"-G grouplist"
"Set additional group memberships for an account.  grouplist
is a comma, space or tab-separated list of group names or
group numbers.  The user's name is added to the group lists
in /etc/group, and removed from any groups not specified in
grouplist."

Please note the part which says "and removed from any groups not
specified in grouplist"
--
Regards,
Torfinn