Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 2009 23:59:07 -0700
From:      Artem Belevich <fbsdlist@src.cx>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Subject:   Re: whats best pracfive for ZFS on a whole disc these days ?

> Unfortunately it appears ZFS doesn't search for GPT partitions so if you
> have them and swap the drives around you need to fix it up manually.

When I used raw disk or GPT partitions, if disk order was changed the
pool would come up in 'DEGRADED' or UNAVAILABLE state. Even then all
that had to be done is export/import the pool. After the pool has been
re-imported it was back to ONLINE.

Now I'm using GPT labels (gpart -l) specifically because that avoids
issues with disk order or driver change. The pool I've built from GPT
labels has survived several migrations between different
controllers/drivers adX (ata) -> daX (SATA disks on mpt) -> adaX
(ahci) and multiple drive permutations without any manual intervention
at all. All that was done on 8-RC1/amd64.
I have also successfully imported the pool on OpenSolaris and back
again on FreeBSD.

--Artem