Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 11:08:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
To:        "Antoine Beaupre (LMC)" <Antoine.Beaupre@ericsson.ca>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: FTP almost gone now? (was: Re: IPFW almost works now.)

How are you going to transfer files back and forth if the server doesnt
have FTP and no HTTPD running? wget is good for getting files to the
server without httpd/ftpd but how are you going to get files on that
server to others? FTP will be around for good because it is the norm for
transferring files.

Joe

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Antoine Beaupre (LMC) wrote:

> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
>=20
> > In message <200106122044.QAA93356@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Garrett=20
> > Wollman write
> > s:
> >=20
> >><<On Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:27:49 -0400, Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven=
=2Enet>=20

> >>Balderdash!  HTTP and TCP both send files over identical TCP
> >>connections, which makes them equally efficient.  There really is no
> >>reason for FTP to continue to exist (but yet it does).
> >>
> >=20
> > On virtually every mailing list I'm on I've been advocating the=20
> > deprecation of FTP, only to get flamed by advocates of FTP.  The reason=
=20
> > FTP is still used is because people want to use it.  Until the majority=
=20
> > can be educated (convinced) it will continue to be used.  Code (CGI=20
> > scripts, etc.) to perform uploads would be the start of the demise of=
=20
> > FTP.
>=20
>=20
> Actually, I think that nothing short of:
>=20
>=20
> - the (possible?) merge of mod_put in the main distro of Apache coupled w=
ith=20
>=20
> - the implementation of PUT and DELETE methods on the client side (Netsca=
pe, IE and friends) along with=20