Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2001 09:41:46 -0700
From:      Jason F Wells <jason@routermonkey.com>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Mark.Andrews@nominum.com, Mike Andrews <mandrews@bit0.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird sporadic DNS resolution problems

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 08:43:22AM -0500, Mike Tancsa wrote:
> At 07:29 PM 1/14/2001 +1100, Mark.Andrews@nominum.com wrote:
> > > The interesting difference in my problem (I think it's interesting...)
> > > is that neither of the nameservers for dml.com are lame;
> >
> >         They are lame.  They are returning non-authoratative answers.
> >         Note the lack of a "aa" (authoratative answer) flag.  If you
> >         query further you find other problems.
>
> Yes, most definitely LAME. The question I have however is when did the
> behavior of rejecting mail from LAME domains take place?  It was not always
> this way and seems specific to FreeBSD in that the same version of sendmail
> on LINUX does not reject mail from LAME domains, nor has a problem of
> sending mail to LAME domains using the same cf files.  I hope gshapiro does
> not mind, but I will cc him as he might be able to shed some light on the
> specifics of the FreeBSD issue.

Yes, you are both right. I apologize for confusing the issue by saying
they weren't. I didn't notice the aa flag wasn't set on the dig results.

Like Mike Tansca, though, I'd like to know exactly what is happening here.
It seems to me that it either should accept mail, or not accept mail
(I don't know what the "right" behaviour is if you only have a
non-authoritative result), but instead it accepts mail for a bit, and
then stops.

Jason.