Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 11:56:37 +0100
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andre Goeree <abgoeree@uwnet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, nbm@FreeBSD.org, dom@happygiraffe.net
Subject:   Re: ports/28521: inconsistency: daemontools and serialmail

called setlock in the same location.  Can we resolve this?]

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 11:26:36PM +0200, Andre Goeree wrote:

> In this particular case (serialmail/daemontools) the conflicting
> files do not differ much. The files are from the same developer
> and have probably the same function (are interchangeable/compatible).

Right.  The code for both versions of setlock is near enough
identical, from our point of view.

> The problem comes when one of the ports gets deinstalled and deletes
> the conflicting file, it could still be needed by the other port.
> A solution would be to not to delete the file but to display a message
> about deleting the file manually when it's no longer needed, this is
> already common practice with users (postgresql).

I'm the maintainer of the serialmail port, and I'm copying this
message to Neil, the maintainer of daemontools, and Dom, the
maintainer of daemontools53.

If it weren't for the daemontools53 port, I'd suggest that serialmail
be modified to not install setlock but depend on daemontools instead.
However, some users may have daemontools53 installed instead which
does not include setlock.  Most of the files in daemontools are
daemontools53 have identical names, though, so users can't install
both ports.

I can't think of a neat way to deal with this, but I thought it might
be useful to mention my thoughts so far.

Tom