Date:      Sat, 31 May 2003 08:26:19 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Marko Zec <zec@tel.fer.hr>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network stack cloning / virtualization patches

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:07:07PM +0200, Marko Zec wrote:
>I plan to start porting the cloning code to -CURRENT once it becomes -STABLE
>(that means once the 5.2 gets out, I guess).

FreeBSD has a policy that all new features must be added to -CURRENT
before they can be added to -STABLE (4.x or 5.x).  This means that
you are going to have to port the code to -CURRENT at some point in
order to get it added to the main tree.

That said, now is actually a relatively good time to look at porting
code to -CURRENT.  It has been in a 'semi-frozen' state since about
last November and will stay in this like this until 5.x is branched
(ie work is focused on bug-fixes and performance enhancements with
minimal new features).  Once 5-STABLE is branched, 6-CURRENT will go
through a period of rapid change and instability as everyone gets 9
months or so of pent-up API changes and 'interesting new ideas'
committed.  In other words, the longer you leave it, the more effort
you'll probably need to invest.

Peter