Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 2004 16:15:19 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   utility to set idle timeout on ata drives

I've been putting together a router/gateway box for my network,
but had been wanting to spin down the hard drives to reduce the
noise of the box.   I've put together a page which I think might be
useful for people putting together router machines as well as laptop
users - it's at http://www.cran.org.uk/bruce/software.php.  It
describes how to get a FreeBSD 5.1 or later computer to spin-down
ata hard drives - I've been searching for a while for a utility to
do this, and after failing to find one I decided to write it myself.
If people are interested I can add more power management features
and possibly create a package/port of it.  Apologies if this is
off-topic for -hackers - I hope people might find this information
useful.

--
Bruce Cran