Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:07:04 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Scott Smyth <smyth@bashful.realminfo.com>
Subject:   Re: memory allocation above "physical" memory

In article <199809181706.KAA00787@word.smith.net.au> you wrote:
>> If the kernel is hacked to only know about 64 MB, is there
>> functionality already in the BSD kernel so allocate the memory
>> that may lie above what the kernel "knows" about.  For instance,
>> in linux, vremap builds new page tables and returns a virtual
>> address you can use.  So, I am looking for a function that
>> retrieves memory the kernel does not know about necessarily and
>> maps it to virtual addresses (whether or not it is contigous in
>> physical memory -- it may be).
>>
>> The example: physical memory the kernel knows: 64 MB, but the
>> real memory banks hold 96 MB.  How can I access the top 32 MB?
>> Does functionality exist for:
>> 1) getting page tables;
>> 2) mapping page tables to virtual addresses.
>
> In most cases this is already taken care of; there should be no systems
> on which physical memory is not correctly sized if you are running a
> recent release or 3.0-current.

Although I don't know why Scott wants to map this memory into kernel
virtual memory (does the kernel or userland app need to grovel
through the data???), I know that he has purposefully "stolen" the
memory from the kernel.  My guess is that the easiest way to map
this into the kernel virtual address space is via pmap_mapdev().
To get this mapped into a userland process would probably require
a device driver with a mmap entry point.

--
Justin