Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:12:30 -0400
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        rfarmer@predatorlabs.net
Subject:   Re: Dynamic plists

>On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Rob Farmer wrote:
>
>> I maintain math/scilab and am preparing to update it. This port has a
>> huge plist (slightly under 15000 lines), hundreds of which change
>> depending on what options are selected. It is a bit of a pain to
>> update. The porters handbook makes vague reference to dynamic plists -
>> so I was wondering, would this be a good idea? And if so, what is the
>> best way to make one?
>
>The reference is vague probably because static plists are generally
>preferred. :-) But you can start by studying ports that pipe to
>${TMPPLIST}; grep through the tree to find them.  Also be sure to review
>the "advanced pkg-plist practices" section of the Porter's Handbook.

Some of these static plists are a bit unwieldy, but they make things a
lot easier for users who want to reconstruct a corrupted /var/db/pkg,
or for maintainers who are trying to search for possible CONFLICTS
between ports, so I hope that you will continue to use one.  There are
some utilities in Ports to help maintain plists:

ports-mgmt/genplist
ports-mgmt/pkg_trackinst
ports-mgmt/porttools
Tools/scripts/plist