Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 04:22:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Nielsen" <nielsen@memberwebs.com>
To:        "Ju Ichi" <freebsd-security@ichi.net>, "Sam Leffler (at Usenix)" <sam@usenix.org>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: IPSec SPD limit?

Well, no the retrieval was what eventually caused us to consider a totally
different alternative. We use a second machine now to do the actual
ESP/tunnelling. This also made it possible to selectively edit the entries.

Our main router now has tens of thousands of IPFW forward rules which
selectively forward traffic through this second ipsec machine. The ipsec
machine only needs only the SAD tables and a couple of IPSEC entries to
encrypt all traffic going through it.

Of course if you need a seperate encryption tunnel/transport for each
IP/subnet then this won't work properly.

Nate