Date:      Sat, 30 Oct 2010 12:01:23 -0200
From:      "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@cyclaero.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Issue wit Samba 3.5.6 and Mac OS X 10.5

Hi,

this is my first post to a FreeBSD mailing list, and I hope that I chose =
the correct one for my question, if not, then please simply point me to =
correct list.

One month ago I setup a FreeBSD 8.1 home server and I installed Samba =
3.4.9 for the file services. I have Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6, as well as =
Windows XP and Windows 7 clients. All clients could connect to the Samba =
3.4 shares at the FreeBSD server.

The day before yesterday, I upgraded samba 3.4.x to samba 3.5.6. I =
preserved smb.conf, but I recreated the user database using smbpasswd =
-a. Already Samba 3.4.9 was setup with tdbsam, and I kept this for 3.5.6 =
(as the smb.conf stayed the same).

I can connect without problems from Windows XP, 7 and Mac OS X 10.6.4 to =
the shares at the FreeBSD server with the new Samba 3.5.6, but =
connection from the Mac OS X 10.5 clients (two different machines) are =
refused. The respective samba log files show:

[2010/10/30 10:10:40.379042,  0] =
smbd/sesssetup.c:1703(reply_sesssetup_and_X)
  reply_sesssetup_and_X:  Attempted encrypted session setup without =
negprot denied!

QUESTIONS

a) Perhaps a respective default setting has been changed from
   Samba 3.4.9 to Samba 3.5.6. So are there any settings about
   negprot, that I can try?

a) If not, what is "negprot" and how can I setup=20
   Mac OS X 10.5 to provide the required negprot to Samba 3.5?

b) If not, can I switch of encryption? Samba at the FreeBSD server
   is strictly in house only, so there is no need for encryption,
   and hence for negprot.=20

Many thanks for any reply.

Best regards

Rolf