Date:      Sat, 6 Oct 2001 18:53:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matt Sykes <matt-sykes@excite.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install boot hangs

I wrote:

> I'm having a problem installing FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE from the floppies.

[...]

> After configuring the kernel, the boot hangs after printing
>
> sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>

[...]

In yet another bios-twiddling attempt to get FreeBSD to boot, I
discovered the "Onboard AHA Bios" option and changed it from "Auto" to
"No", and finally the FreeBSD install boot didn't hang (er, that is
the port scan didn't hang, I guess).

The funny thing is, the "PnP OS Installed" option was always set to
"No".  After some experimentation I found that the "PnP OS Installed"
option has no effect on FreeBSD hanging or not hanging --- only
"Onboard AHA Bios" option will hang FreeBSD if set to "Auto".

I guess I don't understand exactly what AHA Bios is, and why FreeBSD
in particular doesn't like it (since linux and windows don't seem to
mind).  I am assuming it has something to do with PnP.  Shouldn't "PnP
OS Installed: No" get rid of it, and since it doesn't, is this a bug
in the bios?