Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:45:44 -0500
From:      "John Straiton" <jks@clickcom.com>
To:        "'Ken Bolingbroke'" <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: OT: Sendmail issues

Thanks for the input so far. I'm getting a lot of "Why not add it to
sendmail.cf"? here's why..

> > Since we have multiple mail servers, and some bizarrely custom
> > configurations, simply adding all the domains in BIND to
> > local-host-names is not an option.
>
> Not to be obtuse, but why not?

Well I'm trying to avoid a lot of manual work in this seeing as there
are a couple thousand domains to take care of.

Granted, I could take a PERL script and have it parse all my .db files
for BIND and if it finds this mail server's IP, add it to
local-host-names but it would still leave ~ 100 domains to manually
alter.

Situations that come to mind are in ones in which we host the DNS but
not the mail.... There are dozens of these alone. We wouldn't want the
domain to be local then.

It would also complicate the situations where we have the DNS set up
(because it's an automated process) and then we have to change their MX
to a mail server they have of their own or they are doing ETRN.

We would then now also have to go back and remove it from the
local-host-names if we modified the MX away from this machine.

I mean I know with infinate monkeys on infinate typewriters that this is
all very possible, but being that for this particular task, I'm a
one-man-show; I need to find the most time/cost effective manner. Which
is why I felt that if this one particular "misconfiguration" were
ignored or alternately handled by sendmail, neither of those situations
or the ones I haven't even thought of would have to be addressed.

I haven't found anything, anywhere though that seems to offer
suggestions as to how I could get this to happen without knowing enough
C to hack up the source =/

John Straiton
ClickCom, Inc.
jks@clickcom.com