Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 00:15:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        William Wong <wwong@wiley.csusb.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysinstall buggy?

Ok! I'm not nuts!

Noticed this behavior on 2.2.1-Rel CD too.

I've done three installs over a lan here and the sysinstall on both
floppy and hard disk does this "two things checked" when I only did
one - although the install seems to be fine.

Other little wiggles...

1. On one install, I boo boo the lan config part and sysinstall
anounces a successful install after about one second. It just thought
I was sucessful. I know better and do it right the second time.

2. I have never been able to get a package off of the CD, even when
I do it as part of the install process. The error says something like
"unable to fetch...", even though it reads the index, lists all the
possibles and successfully gets the OS and X windows parts installed!?

3. In the "options" part of the sysinstall process, I *must* set the
name to "none" not FREEBSD 2.2.1 (I think) and the FTP location to the
IP of the machine with the CDROM - no directory name. (see below)

I'm running an ethernet lan w/NE2000 clones in three machines. A *10yr*
old 386sx 16MB and a 200MB MaxStor (very liesurely X and emacs), WinNT
32MB and 500MB - CDROM, 486 133 server w/3.5Gig (2 spindles). The latter
runs Apache, htDig and Isearch. All run NFS (well the NT sort of...).

Please ask me specific questions, it's the only way I can help sort out
sysinstall. I'm not a programmer or even particularly comp lit. For all of
you trying your first install, I built this lan, with *very* little
experience, but by:

1. Reading ALL the READMEs DOCs etc. *before* installing.

2. Planning.

3. Backing up.

4. Doing it, with patience - don't rush it. It does work.:-)

[sermon over]

Anyway, it keeps me out of the ... , nevermind.;-)

John